PTPI's Lake Arrowhead, California Chapter submitted a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Cultural Cooking: Chicken Tortilla Soup from California, USA
Chicken Tortilla Soup
PTPI’s Lake Arrowhead, California Chapter
Note: Remember to pay attention to the unit of measurement used. Check conversions online or click here for a quick guide to U.S. and metric conversions.
4 ears of corn, grilled/roasted on the barbecue in their husks or use frozen
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 pound of chicken breast (we used the crock pot), shredded (save the broth)
1 zucchini, diced
1 onion, diced
2 or more garlic cloves, chopped
1-2 peppers (depending on your taste and heat tolerance), diced (or leave them out)
1 can of small cut tomatoes (8 oz.)
1 can of tomato sauce (8 oz.)
2 or more tsp. of cumin
2 quarts of low sodium chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Start slowly cooking the chicken several hours early so it can be easily shredded.
2. Grill the corn on the barbecue in the husks for 20-25 minutes. We did not oil or
3. Let them cool and then cut the stalk end off and peel the husks from
the silk end. Ours came off very easily. Cut the corn from the cob and set aside in
4. Drizzle the oil in a pot and cook the onion, garlic, peppers, corn and the zucchini
5. Add the shredded chicken, tomatoes, sauce, cumin, peppers(?) (or
not) all of the chicken broth (including from the crock pot) and simmer for 30
6. Serve immediately with assorted garnishes: tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro,
lime, queso fresco, shredded cheddar…etc.
See more recipes by Lake Arrowhead, California’s Community Chapter on their website.
If you would like to contribute to our series, Cultural Cooking, please complete the recipe submission form and email photographs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about People to People International, visit www.ptpi.org or check out our Facebook Page.